Skip to content

Can people outside academia actually fit in at conferences?

7 replies · 361 views

I work outside the traditional academic system, but my work overlaps with research in a field where there are conferences I would like to attend. If I go, am I going to feel like an outsider? Do practitioners or other people without academic job titles generally fit in, or are conferences mostly for people who are already part of the academic community?
If the conference is open to people in your field, I would not assume you need an academic job title to attend. I have attended conferences as a practitioner and did not have problems talking to people. Most people are there because they are interested in the same subject.
It depends somewhat on the conference. Some meetings are very research-focused, while others have practitioners, industry people, government employees, students, and academics all in the same rooms. I would look at the program and the attendee list if one is available. That will tell you more than the job titles on people's business cards.
You may have to explain your perspective occasionally, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. If your work gives you a practical perspective that researchers do not normally have, that can actually make for an interesting conversation. Just be clear about what you know and what you are there to learn.
The biggest thing is to know what kind of conversation you are looking for. A research conference is generally not the place to expect someone to solve an individual professional or technical problem for you. It is more about exchanging ideas, hearing current work, and meeting people who are interested in the same questions.
I would start with a conference where practitioners are already part of the audience. If you are worried about being dismissed, a huge specialist meeting may not be the easiest first experience. A conference with workshops, panels, poster sessions, or practitioner sessions can give you more natural ways to meet people.
You do not need to give everyone your life story when you introduce yourself. Something simple like, 'I work in X and I came because I am interested in Y,' is enough. Then ask about their work. If the other person is interested, the conversation will usually take care of itself.
There are definitely conferences where outsiders can feel out of place, but I would not treat that as a universal academic rule. People at conferences are used to meeting students, practitioners, researchers from other areas, and people with unusual career paths. Being respectful, prepared, and genuinely interested in the subject matters more than having the right title.

Post a Reply

Log in to reply to this topic. New here? Create a free account.