Skip to content

What are your tricks for traveling to conferences on a tight budget?

7 replies · 281 views

I have a conference coming up and travel is going to be expensive. My department will help a little, but it definitely will not cover the whole trip. For people who go to conferences on a tight budget, what actually saves you money? I am especially interested in lodging, food, transportation, and anything people tend to overlook.
Lodging is usually where I try to cut costs first. If there are other students or colleagues going, share a room. I have also found that university or professional organizations sometimes arrange cheaper rooms nearby. Just check the rules for reimbursement before booking something unconventional.
I bring breakfast and snacks with me whenever I can. Conferences often have coffee, breakfast items, or receptions, so I use those when they are available. But I would not skip every meal just to save money. If there is a useful dinner or lunch where everyone is networking, spending a little can be worth it.
Ask about conference volunteering. Some meetings need people to help with registration or other tasks and may offer free or discounted registration. It does not solve the flight or hotel problem, but registration can be one of the biggest expenses.
Dig much deeper into university funding than the main travel-grant page. Ask your department administrator, graduate or undergraduate office, and whoever handles travel reimbursement. There may be a small scholarship or annual travel allowance that is buried somewhere on the university website.
For transportation, look at public transit before automatically taking taxis or rideshares. If you are traveling somewhere with good buses or trains, figuring out the system before you leave can save quite a bit. I also book local transportation in advance when there is a discount for doing so.
I have used cheaper accommodations outside the conference hotel, including shared apartments and hostels. There is a tradeoff, though. The absolute cheapest option is not always worth it if you lose sleep or have a long commute every day. For me, a reasonably cheap private room is often better than saving another $20 and being exhausted.
I try to separate 'cheap' from 'worth it.' I will save money on breakfast, transportation, and lodging, but I do not want to spend the whole conference worrying about every dollar. If a meal with researchers is one of the main networking opportunities, I would rather spend $15 or $20 there and save somewhere else.

Post a Reply

Log in to reply to this topic. New here? Create a free account.