My paper was accepted for a national conference, which I was really excited about, but my university recently eliminated the undergraduate travel grant that I was counting on. I do not have enough money to pay for the trip myself. Has anyone dealt with this? Are there other places I should look for funding, or should I just accept that I cannot go?
My paper was accepted, but I have no money to attend. What should I do?
7 replies · 313 views
Before deciding you cannot go, ask around your department. Contact your advisor, department chair, undergraduate research office, or whoever handles student travel. There may be small amounts of money available even if the main university grant is gone.
Look beyond the university too. Professional organizations in your field sometimes have student travel awards or scholarships. The conference itself may also have funding that is easy to miss, so check the conference website and contact the organizers.
Do not assume there has to be one big grant that covers everything. You may be able to combine several smaller sources. A department award, a professional association scholarship, and a little help from your advisor could add up to enough to make the trip possible.
Ask about volunteering. Some conferences offer reduced or waived registration in exchange for helping with registration or other conference tasks. That will not solve airfare and lodging, but it can take one expense off the list.
Look at the travel costs separately instead of thinking only about the total. Can you share a hotel room with another student? Can you use cheaper transportation? Are there other students from your university going? Sometimes the biggest savings come from splitting lodging.
Ask whether the conference allows remote presentations. Some conferences have virtual options, and it can be worth asking even if the normal format is in person. You may be able to present without paying for the full trip.
There is no shame in deciding not to go if attending would put you in serious financial trouble. Conferences can be valuable, especially early in your career, but you should not take on debt you cannot reasonably manage just to attend one meeting. First exhaust the funding and lower-cost options, then make the decision based on what you can actually afford.