My research was accepted for a conference overseas, but the trip would cost me more than $3,000 once I include registration, travel, and everything else. I am not currently affiliated with a university, so I do not have the usual department travel funding. My advisor wants me to attend and will be there, but she cannot pay for my trip. I have been looking for grants and other funding but have not found anything yet. At what point is a conference simply too expensive to pay for yourself? Are there other funding options I should check before deciding?
Is a $3,000 conference trip worth paying for yourself?
7 replies · 330 views
I would start with the conference itself. Some conferences have student or early-career travel awards, registration waivers, scholarships, or small travel grants. They are not always advertised prominently, so check the conference website and email the organizers if you cannot find the information.
Also ask about the cheapest registration category you qualify for. Student and early-career rates can make a big difference. Some meetings also have discounted housing or shared accommodation options, so the total cost may be lower than the first estimate.
If your advisor is a coauthor, another option is for the advisor to present the work. You can still have the presentation or publication on your CV depending on the conference and the authorship rules. That may be worth considering if the main reason for going is the presentation itself.
I would not automatically say that paying yourself is never worthwhile. It depends on the conference. If it is a very focused meeting where the researchers you want to meet will actually be there, the networking opportunity could be valuable. But I would be much more cautious about spending several thousand dollars on a broad conference just to have another presentation on the CV.
Think about the entire trip, not just the registration fee. Flights, hotel, food, local transportation, and the time away from work can add up quickly. Before paying, make a simple budget and decide what you realistically expect to get from the trip.
It is also worth asking your department, former university, professional associations, research organizations, or local academic groups. Even if you are not currently eligible for university funding, there may be small grants or travel awards that are not tied to a formal faculty position.
I would ask your advisor one more specific question: if you cannot get funding, does she still think this particular conference is important enough for you to attend? That is different from simply saying that she would like you there. If there is no funding and no clear reason this meeting matters for your research or future plans, skipping one conference is not going to end your career.