Skip to content

What should I bring to my first conference?

6 replies · 477 views

I'm going to my first academic conference and I'll be presenting a poster. It's a fairly large regional conference, and I'll be there most of the day. I'm driving in, so I can leave some things in the car, but I'm not sure what I should actually bring. Do people normally carry backpacks around? Where do you put your stuff while you're presenting? And are there any little things that experienced conference people always bring that a first-timer might not think about?
A backpack or messenger bag is completely normal. I'd bring water, snacks, a phone charger or power bank, and anything you need for your poster. Conference food can be expensive or not very good, so having something small to eat is useful. You can usually keep your bag near your poster or in your seat, but check with the organizers if they have a designated place for personal items.
Bring extra poster pins or clips if your conference instructions don't say they provide them. It sounds silly, but discovering that you have no way to attach your poster five minutes before your session is not fun. And obviously make sure you actually have the poster with you before leaving home.
Don't underestimate how long you'll be standing and walking. Wear shoes you can comfortably stay in for several hours. If you're dressing up and driving, you can always keep a more comfortable pair of shoes or a change of clothes in the car.
Your phone will probably get a workout too. People take pictures of posters and slides, exchange contact information, and use the conference schedule all day. A power bank is one of those things you won't care about until your phone is at 12 percent and you still have half a day left.
The stuff is helpful, but I'd also prepare for the social part. If there's a researcher whose work you really want to talk to, don't assume you'll just happen to meet them. Say hello after their talk or poster, or send a short email asking whether they have a few minutes to chat. Also talk to people who are standing around their posters. They may be just as interested in meeting someone as you are.
If your poster session allows you to leave after your required presentation time, walk around and see the other posters. That's one of the easiest ways to start conversations because you already have something to ask about. And if someone takes a picture of you with your poster, offer to take one for them too. It gives you an easy reason to introduce yourself.

Post a Reply

Log in to reply to this topic. New here? Create a free account.