This is my first year submitting to conferences, so I applied to a bunch because I honestly expected most of them to reject me. Instead, several have accepted my proposals and I'm now looking at a really crowded few months. Between travel, registration, writing, and everything else, I'm not sure I can realistically do all of them. Is it okay to back out of a conference after being accepted, or is that considered terrible form?
I submitted to too many conferences. What do I do now?
6 replies · 470 views
People do have to withdraw sometimes. Things come up, funding falls through, or the paper just isn't ready. If you know you can't do it, tell the organizers as early as you can. That gives them a chance to adjust the program instead of finding out right before the conference.
I would check with someone in your field before assuming there is one universal rule. Some conferences are pretty relaxed about withdrawals, while others have stricter expectations once the program is set. Your advisor, department chair, or someone who regularly attends these conferences should know what the normal practice is.
Look at the money first. Seven conferences sounds manageable until you add flights, hotels, registration, meals, and time away from your actual work. I'd make a list of the funding you actually have and then decide which meetings are worth paying for. You don't necessarily need to attend every conference just because you got accepted.
I'd also think about what each conference is doing for you. A huge general conference might be useful for meeting lots of people, while a smaller conference in your exact area might give you better conversations with people working on the same problem. If you're trying to build toward publications or a job, those goals should probably factor into the decision too.
Don't forget the time cost. A conference isn't just the few hours you're standing at the podium. There's travel, preparation, revisions, networking, and catching up afterward. I've had years where two conferences felt like plenty. At some point, going to another conference means losing time that could have gone into finishing an article or project.
One other thing: if the paper is still a work in progress, that doesn't automatically mean you shouldn't present it. In some fields, especially the humanities, conferences are partly a place to test ideas and get feedback before the work is finished. But if you're accepting everything just because you're surprised that people said yes, it's probably worth slowing down and choosing what actually fits your schedule.