I'm an undergraduate going into my final year and I found a national conference that is almost exactly in the area I've been doing research in. I'm really interested in going, but I'm not sure whether undergrads normally attend conferences like this. I probably wouldn't be presenting anything. Has anyone gone to a conference as an undergraduate just to learn and meet people? And if so, how did you pay for it?
Can undergraduates actually attend conferences?
6 replies · 281 views
It definitely happens. Some conferences have specific undergraduate sessions or receptions, although the number of undergrads can vary a lot by field. You don't necessarily need to be presenting to attend. I'd check the conference registration page first and see whether there's a student rate.
I would ask your supervisor or a faculty member who knows your work. There may be student travel money, a small departmental fund, or conference bursaries that you don't know about. Even if they can't pay for the whole trip, they may know where to look. Ask early because some of those applications close well before the conference.
If you have something that could reasonably be presented, that may open up more options. A poster or short presentation can sometimes make it easier to get travel support or a registration discount. I went to a large conference as an undergraduate after presenting a poster, and it was a really useful way to see what people in the field were working on.
Also look for volunteer opportunities. Some conferences need students to help with registration, room setup, directing people, or other basic jobs. Depending on the conference, volunteering can come with free or reduced registration. It's worth emailing the organizers and asking rather than assuming you have to pay the full price.
The answer also depends a lot on the conference and the country. In some places undergrads at national conferences are pretty unusual, while in others they're completely normal. If the conference lets you register as a student, I'd just ask the organizers directly whether there are any restrictions. They'll know their own rules better than anyone on a forum.
Don't overlook the value of just attending. If you're thinking about doing a master's or PhD in that area, sitting in on talks and seeing what researchers are working on can help you figure out what you actually want to study. You can also introduce yourself to people after talks without having a presentation of your own. You don't need to pretend you're more advanced than you are.