I've been to a couple of conferences now and I still have no idea how people actually network. I usually end up eating by myself somewhere off to the side while everyone else seems to already know each other and is laughing over drinks. I know I'm supposed to meet people, but walking up to a group and introducing myself feels incredibly awkward. Is there a normal way to do this without feeling like you're forcing it?
How do you actually network at a conference?
6 replies · 393 views
Honestly, don't worry about being elegant. Pick a few people whose work you actually want to talk to and start there. Read the program ahead of time and find their talks or posters. Then you already have something to say besides 'so...what do you do?' Coffee lines are also ridiculously easy. 'That session was long' or 'I desperately need coffee' is enough to start a conversation.
If you see one person standing alone, talk to them. There's a good chance they're having the exact same experience you are. You can also sit at a table where there is an empty seat and just ask if it's okay to join. Most people aren't going to make a big deal out of it.
One thing that helped me was finding one person I already had some connection to, even if it was just a colleague of a colleague. I would arrange to meet them for coffee and then meet some of their people. After a while you start recognizing the same faces. It gets much easier once you're not starting from zero every time.
Don't compare yourself to the groups laughing at the reception. A lot of those people already know each other. They may be catching up with friends they only see once or twice a year. That doesn't mean they are some exclusive conference club and you're doing something wrong.
Poster sessions are probably the easiest place for me. You can walk up and ask about the work right in front of you, so there is an obvious reason for the conversation. Social events can work too, especially events for students or early career people. Just don't expect every conversation to turn into a lifelong connection. Some will be five minutes and that's fine.
I've found that you have to keep seeing people. Say hello when you run into someone again the next day. Ask how their talk went. Remember their name. The first conference or two can feel really awkward, but after you go to the same meetings for a few years, suddenly you know people and the whole thing feels completely different.