I just went to my first major conference and had a really rough presentation. I was presenting three projects, including work that belonged to professors I had helped with. The room was full of people I really respect, and I had been hoping this would be a chance to make connections and help with my plans for graduate school. Instead, during my second presentation I completely froze. I knew what I wanted to say, but I couldn't get the words out. Now I keep replaying it in my head and wondering if I embarrassed myself badly enough that people will remember me for it. Is freezing up like this common at conferences? What do you do to get your confidence back after a presentation goes badly?
First conference presentation went badly. How do I recover?
6 replies · 484 views
Three presentations is a lot for a first conference. Don't judge yourself too harshly. I've been doing this for years and some of my early talks were disasters. The thing that helped me most was preparation. I practice until I can give the whole talk without looking at the slides. It sounds excessive, but it makes a huge difference when you get nervous.
Also, presenting somebody else's research is harder than it sounds. You may know the project well, but it's not the same as presenting your own work. And being in a room full of senior people can make you overthink every word. One bad talk doesn't tell you whether you're capable of doing a master's or having a career in research.
For the next one, make the presentation easier on yourself. Put a few words on the slides that remind you where you're going. If there's something you absolutely need to say, put it in your notes. I've even printed out my script and kept it with me. I'd much rather glance at a note than stand there completely stuck.
Practice in front of people before the conference. They don't even have to be in your exact field. A couple of friends who understand presentations but don't know all the details of your research can be a really good audience. Record yourself too. You'll notice where you rush, where you lose your place, and which parts aren't as clear as you thought.
Try to remember what it feels like when you're sitting in the audience and someone has a bad presentation. Most people feel bad for them for a minute and then move on. They have their own work and their own problems to think about. You probably remember the presentation much more strongly than anyone else in that room does.
If you're still bothered by the project you presented for your professor, I'd talk to them about it rather than avoiding the conversation. Explain what happened and what you're going to do differently next time. And then give yourself another chance to present soon. The worst thing would be to let one bad experience convince you that you can't do this.