Skip to content

How do you handle attending a conference alone?

6 replies · 351 views

I'm attending my first conference alone and I'm pretty introverted. I'm not presenting, and I'm worried that people won't be interested in talking with me because I'm relatively junior in my field. How do you actually approach people at a conference without feeling awkward? Is there a way to enjoy the experience when you're there by yourself?
There are probably plenty of other people there who are attending alone or who are also introverts. One easy approach is to talk to someone who is standing by themselves. You can ask what they thought about a talk or ask about something related to the conference.
I actually like attending conferences alone because it gives me more freedom to choose which sessions to attend and who to talk to. A simple introduction such as, 'Is this your first time at this conference?' can open up a conversation without making it feel forced.
I usually make a small game plan before I arrive. I pick a few sessions I really want to attend and identify one or two people whose work I'm interested in. After their presentation, I introduce myself and ask a question. I also set a small goal, such as talking to one new person during each break.
Coffee breaks are probably the easiest time to start conversations. You can ask someone what sessions they've attended, whether they've been to the conference before, or simply make a comment about the conference. You don't need to have an impressive introduction or be an expert.
Don't assume that people will think you are strange for being there alone. Everyone is there because they have an interest in the same general area. I've found that conversations often become easier once you ask someone about their research, their presentation, or their experience at the conference.
One of my best conference experiences started because I introduced myself to someone after a session. That person eventually introduced me to several other people. You don't have to meet twenty people. One good conversation can lead to several others, so I would focus on being curious rather than trying to network perfectly.

Post a Reply

Log in to reply to this topic. New here? Create a free account.