I'm attending a conference next week at a resort where I'll also be staying. The weather is expected to be very hot, and the resort has a nice pool. If I have some free time outside the scheduled conference sessions and events, would it be considered unprofessional to spend some time at the pool? I'll be attending the sessions I need to attend and participating in the conference, but I'm wondering whether people generally expect you to stay focused on conference activities the entire time.
Is it okay to use the hotel pool during a conference?
6 replies · 253 views
I don't think anyone will care as long as you're participating in the conference and taking care of your responsibilities. Conferences are work, but they're also often held in interesting locations. If you have a free afternoon or an hour between events, there's nothing unusual about using the hotel amenities.
I would look at the conference schedule first. If you're missing an important session, your own presentation, or a networking event you specifically wanted to attend, then the pool probably isn't worth it. But if you have genuine downtime, I wouldn't see a problem with it.
I've actually found that resort conferences can be very social outside the formal sessions. People end up talking at the pool, hotel bar, coffee shop, or other common areas. Some of the most useful conversations can happen when people are not sitting in a conference room.
It probably depends somewhat on the conference and your field. At some conferences, everyone stays in sessions most of the day. At others, people regularly take breaks, explore the area, or spend time with colleagues. I would make sure you're present for the parts that matter, then enjoy the location.
I've attended conferences in beach destinations where people definitely took advantage of the location. The important thing is not whether you went swimming; it's whether you actually participated in the conference. If you're contributing, attending the sessions you need, and meeting people, some downtime is completely reasonable.
One thing I would keep in mind is that networking can happen outside the official program. If the pool is a place where conference attendees gather, you might actually meet people there. I wouldn't plan to disappear for half the conference, but taking a break seems pretty normal.