Just got back from my first AERA and wanted to share a few lessons for anyone going next year:
1. Download the app early and build your schedule by division, not by keyword.
2. Sessions are spread across several hotels — budget 15-20 minutes to move between them.
3. Division business meetings and receptions are the easiest places to meet people.
4. Don't try to attend every slot. I burned out by day three.
What would you add?
First time at AERA — what I wish I had known
4 replies · 259 views
Bring a portable charger. Every outlet in every hallway is taken by the afternoon.
Email two or three people you want to meet BEFORE the conference and ask for coffee. Almost everyone says yes.
Great list. I'd add: skip the busiest opening sessions and use that time to visit the book exhibit when it's quiet.
All great additions — the coffee emails tip is one I'll definitely use next time.