Skip to content

Solved Best conference for a first-year assistant professor in ed tech?

4 replies · 430 views

I just started a tenure-track position in educational technology and have a small travel budget for one conference this year. I'm torn between AERA and AECT.

My priority is presenting early-stage research and meeting people in my subfield. Which would you pick, and why?
AECT, without hesitation. It's smaller, so you actually get to talk to the people whose papers you cite. At AERA your session can end up in a huge hotel with ten other ed tech sessions at the same time.
I'd second AECT for networking, but AERA carries more weight on a CV in some departments. Ask your chair how your tenure committee views each one.
Thanks both — I asked my chair and they said either is fine, so I'm going with AECT this year and will aim for AERA once I have a fuller study.
Good call. Go to the graduate student / early career events even if you think you're past that stage — that's where I met most of my collaborators.

Post a Reply

Log in to reply to this topic.